The Vermont State Police and the Vermont Department of Children and Families have issued a joint press release regarding suspicious activity involving people impersonating Department of Children and Families employees.
If you are approached by someone claiming to be performing a DCF investigation, you have a right to ask for identification.
- DCF employees must carry identification
- You are encouraged to ask to see identification if contacted by someone purporting to be from DCF
- DCF employees cannot take emergency custody of a child without a Court Order.
- If someone claims to have a court order, ask to see it.
- If you suspect that someone is impersonating a DCF employee, the State Police are asking that you call 911 immediately.
There have been three reported incidents since October.