**We’ve received reports of phone calls coming from our office that we did not make. If you’ve received a phone call from our firm, please know that we will only call you if you’ve reached out to us, or if you’re an existing client. https://www.fcc.gov/spoofing **

Personal and Professional Legal Services in the Heart of Vermont

What can I do if my ex refuses to pay child support?

On Behalf of | Aug 21, 2023 | Child Support |

When you and your spouse or partner had children, you both committed to providing them with the love and care they deserve. Now that you’re no longer together, your ex may be refusing to pay child support. This is frustrating when they won’t contribute to childcare expenses, especially when they can easily afford to.

You can handle the situation effectively

While circumstances like these can leave you in an awkward position, there are things you can do to address the issue and the difficult emotions that can come with it:

Try to communicate with them

Understandably, this can be difficult to do, especially if relations between you and your ex are hostile. If that’s not the case, however, asking them about the support payments could:

  • Give you insight on why they’re not making them.
  • Help them understand the emotional and financial stress it’s putting you under.

Opening up the lines of communication can help you reach a better plan that accounts for your interests. Additionally, it’s important to speak with them directly, either through a text, phone call, email or even a letter. Asking them through your children could backfire and escalate tensions.

Practice self-care

Divorcing and choosing to end a relationship with your child’s other parent is difficult. And when your ex neglects their parental rights and responsibilities, it can make the aftermath even harder. When their actions make you feel irritated and anxious, prioritizing your physical and mental health is crucial. Therapy, regular exercise, mindfulness meditation, journaling and seeking support from family and friends can serve as healthy coping mechanisms when you’re in a less than ideal situation.

Speak with an attorney

If your ex still isn’t paying and it’s creating financial hardship for you and your children, you may wish to seek legal counsel. An attorney can help you evaluate your options and help you navigate the process so you can seek the appropriate amount of child support you need.

Focus on what matters most

There’s nothing more frustrating than when your ex won’t pay child support. But when you have the appropriate resources and coping strategies, you can feel confident in your pursuits and keep your focus on what’s important: giving your kids a happy, healthy and quality life.